Five Islands Georgetown MAine
Georgetown Island lies between the mouth of the Sheepscot River and the Kennebec River on the Gulf of Maine. The Abenaki Indians called the island Erascohegan, meaning “good spear fishing”. John Parker, a fisherman from Bedfordshire, England, purchased it in 1649 from Chief Mowhotiwormet, commonly known as Chief Robinhood, for a hogshead of rum and some pumpkins. Parker built the first permanent homestead on what eventually became known as Parker‘s Island.